The Miracle Workers

I have finished up two days of testing - more to go though. The tests are not vigorous or particularly painful but they are draining. I have been a guest of University Hospital in London for the past two days.
This is a first class hospital - home to transplant surgery for the area. Della Reese spent time here after suffering a near fatal brain aneurysm and was operated on by Dr. Drake in this place. This hospital is a teaching hospital affiliated with Western  University. I feel humbled to be treated here and to have a world class doctor taking care of me - Dr. Patrick Luke. I feel like I'm in good hands.
I have nothing but high praise for all the staff at this hospital. They have all been very kind, helpful and very reassuring. I stand (or maybe in my case, laying) in amazement, with all the machines, the high tech imaging, the things they can do!
I am so thankful this is not what I had to endure this past week. I just can't imagine. Of course, I wouldn't be here if it was for the discovery of antibiotics. Also the discovery of vaccines - that's bound to open a can of worms. I remember going to Camp Sylvan (grade 6 or 7)  and visiting a cemetery in the middle of nowhere and seeing all the graves of families who passed during a specific period of time - smallpox! Scary stuff.
Anyway, today is my last test for this week. I am feeling pretty good but a bit tired. The tests are not terribly painful but you end up laying very still for long periods of time. Yesterday I had a Nuclear Renogram which meant filling my kidney up with fluid and getting some radioactive material injected to watch them work. This required an hour of laying still under a large machine and getting to watch my kidneys in action. It looked something like this.
It was watching car headlights in a snowstorm for an hour. Suggestion: put a TV screen up instead or a e-reader instead.  Once that was done, I had to have another go inside the machine for more exciting video footage - luckily this was only for 3 minutes. After the test, I was told not to cross any borders for 48 hours as I would be radioactive and set off alarms. No problem - Trump and I aren't exactly on speaking terms.
Earlier this week, I had the biopsy. Very precise - I am amazed with this doctor. Again, the staff there is fantastic. The only painful part was the needle used to freeze my back. Oh man, oh man, oh man!!! I tried to hold still but the muscles in my back kept spasming and jerking. I felt bad but she told me that was normal. I was fine after that. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.


 After the procedure, I walked outside to witness the Ornge helicopter take off. I always say a prayer whenever I see it flying because it usually means someone is hurt very seriously and being flown in or a transplant is underway. I sat near the bus stop but the wind power of it taking off is enough to blow any dandruff out of your hair. Wow! Pretty cool - I need to get my helicopter license. (Bucket list item 😉 )
Today is my last test for this week and things are a little "shitty" here. It's the colonoscopy! Everyone's favourite. I can't wait to be finished it and have the weekend off for some R&R. I will be a guest of St. Joseph's Hospital for this one - birthplace of all my kids (well, one was pretty close, the rest made it inside the building at least).
Also this weekend - yes, I have it right this time - the arrival of Omari and Andre. The whole family is coming together. As my favourite actor, Kermit the Frog would say about family gatherings "Yeah, life would just pass in a blur if it weren't for times like this."
So there's the lowdown on life this week. Still feeling good and thankful for all the support and prayers. 





Comments

  1. Great stuff Janet have an awesome R&R weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six weeks later.....

Rear View Mirror...........

Soapbox blog