Hurry up....wait.....


I am sitting here at a picnic table in the shade, enjoying a few days away. At the end of summer, I like to take a week camping by myself to catch up on some reading and try to sort out some thoughts. It’s been a hectic summer. I haven’t worked for most of it but it seems to be a summer of hurry up and wait.
For the weeks that Jocelyn was here including the two that Omari and Andre joined her, it was a time of tests, appointments and a little time for fun. One of the highlights must be Clovermead Bees – what a great place to take kids. It was a little hot (ok, so a lot hot and humid) that day but the splash pad took care of that.
They left at the beginning of August and although we keep in touch via messenger and facetime, it’s not the same. I miss that girl. 
Problems with the West Jet computers led to long line ups
August was a month of appointments again and that one nasty weekend spent in the hospital enduring some of the worst pain I have ever had. I had a clinic follow up for that last Thursday and another ultrasound on Friday to see what changes there were and why I had that bad weekend. I also had my pre-admission appointment on Friday morning but no surgery date yet. I have a follow up clinic day this Thursday (I will have to wait to publish this on that day as I have no internet here) and hopefully he has a date scheduled for me then. If he doesn’t, I may go back to work this coming week. I will see if I can handle it (pain wise) and it also helps to pass the time.

(** News flash - today is Thursday and I had the follow up appointment but no date for surgery. He did put me off work indefinitely. The surgery will have to happen first and then the recovery before I go back behind the wheel. He is going to do a scope to see what is going on with my kidney and bladder connection and put in a stint. Guided tours may be available - LOL.)

The pre-admission is a whole ordeal of its’ own. Besides providing samples of every bodily fluid including a few more vials of blood (do we ever run out of that stuff? I feel like I have been giving gallons of it), I had to have an EKG (ECG), a chest x-ray, weight, height, blood pressure, and so on. The whole thing took over 3 hours. I had hoped to be back in time to see my two aunts off to the airport for their return trip to Holland but that was not to be. The only good part of that day was that my surgery date can’t be far off. 

I had another ultrasound that afternoon. It went fine although I no longer need a paper with my number to tell me what my number is. They give everyone a number so when you are called up to go in to see the doctor, no one has to know your name. Problem is that many forget the number or lose the paper and they still have to call out the name – LOL. I’ve lost my name and you may call me 3343 now. We are all just number cogs in the wheel of life.

 I usually try not to insinuate much from a tech’s reaction to the ultrasound but when she hmmm’s her way through the test and keeps trying to take another screen shot of one area, I get concerned. The red and yellow dots mean nothing to me. The shadows could mean a baby or just a blob of pudding. She kept asking me “Doesn’t this hurt? Tell me if it hurts”.  Then she had to go out to consult and came back in for more shots. Little concerning to me, but the way things are going, I can expect that.  I guess I will find out Thursday if it means anything. Meanwhile I wait, as this monster nestles up to my kidney sucking the life out of it. 

Back to family, my Dad’s two sisters came from Holland to visit for a week. It was great! It was good for him to see them and be able to talk about the old days although they were just pre-teens when he left for Canada. I began to see how views of life including political, social, economical can be so similar in one family. We may have had similar upbringings as families tend to do. We were brought up in different countries, different languages, different experiences, different eras but we saw the world through similar eyes. I found that fascinating. I do not get to see these wonderful women often but when I do, it’s like going home. It was a busy time for me keeping up with appointments, visits from friends far and wide and getting to see them every day. I don’t know how I could have possibly worked full time and kept the schedule I have had lately. Catching up with old friends (old as in days of yore), visits with family and my ever present supportive circle of friends.
My dad with his two youngest sisters - Tante Griet and Tante Lies
It has also been a time of reflection of the past. My cousin was killed in a motorcycle accident two weeks ago. The only boy in a family of girls (never easy, ask St. Ray). Jim was always the joker, the one liner guy who could make you laugh with his dry humour. He had moved to BC some years ago so I haven’t seen him in years but I will miss him. When I hung out with my cousin (my best friend), he was always the pesky little brother. An all round funny kid. Just knowing he is not longer there and that life changes in a blink of an eye brings sadness. Anyone who knows me, knows that I hate change and I hate good byes. It was probably better that I didn’t see my aunts off – the airport floors probably get mopped enough.

When I received my news of cancer, another cousin was also battling it. Arthur was always the big brother when he came to help my Dad on the farm when I was young. My Dad could be a tough task master and often I felt sorry for Arthur as he toiled the summer away working in the hay, milking the cows or on the tractor all day. Arthur is fighting a nasty form of cancer and I can only pray that God will provide a miracle of total eradication. Cancer is a mean fighter who plays dirty. It has no rules of combat, no bias, no mercy. It is cruel.

For the past month, I also had to think about camping but I had no idea if I could go or not. The last week of summer is our annual camping trip. For the past 35 odd years, a group of friends reserve a block of sites and we gather to say good bye to another summer. It is something that our kids grew up with and now they bring their spouses or significant others and children. It is like a family reunion of sorts – no blood relation but stronger ties. We always think it’s a good year if we get warned by the camp staff to keep the noise down. I did not pack until I was sure I could go which meant a very busy Friday evening for me. I gave up about 10 pm Friday (my energy level is not great these days) and resumed Saturday morning. We picked up the trailer that afternoon and arrived here about 4 pm. Still lots of time to unpack and set up.
Time to shamefully (not really!) plug in a recommendation for Smitty’s Great Outdoors RV rental in Springfield. He has two sizes of trailers to rent and the price is very reasonable. They are clean, well maintained and it’s highly unlikely that we will ever buy our own trailer again. We have rented for the past 3 years and love it.

Camping for me is a time to recharge and read all those books I
Ray, Mark and Mya
have been wanting to read all summer. I have been here for four and half days and finished seven and half books. In the evening, I sit at my computer and watch movies I rented from the library. I recommend “Still Alice” – what a sad but good movie. At this time, Mya sits under the picnic table in the shade (our site has little shade and it’s hot). I can eat when I want and also what I want. Usually it isn’t the best nutrition-wise but I really don’t care. If I feel like a can of zoodles at 2 pm, then I open a can up and eat it with no regrets. If chips and salsa are my dinner choice – Ole! That’s why I like to be alone. A few days of me time.

Just a little choppy out there
Went hiking – well, that was a stretch but walking in the woods – with Mya. She loved to run through the forest (probably through patches of poison ivy). The trail is no longer a loop so halfway, we turned back because I was beginning to feel pain and tired. She found whatever water she could, to splash in and ran merrily through more patches of poison ivy. Once we got back, I got her into the car and we went off to the beach to rinse her off. She isn’t fussy about the waves coming it as she is used to
swimming in a still pond. I have some nasty scratches on me due to her jumping up on me hoping I would hold her above the waves. She is a suck! Last evening, I sat on the beach and read until well
after 7 pm. There is something comforting about listening to the waves kiss the shore and run back out for another dare.

Sitting here alone, I often think of what the fall will bring. The operation will take a minimum of three hours and I may need a stint put in so that means more time. Dr. Luke also said that I would probably be in the hospital for a few days (a week or so depending on what he finds he must do). He is hoping on a partial nephrectomy which means removing part of the kidney that the cancer has attached to and then installing a stint in the ureter leading from the kidney to the bladder. That should be done with a key hole incision and robotics. If that does not work, he will go in and remove the entire kidney (radical nephrectomy) and skip the stint as it won’t be needed then. I’m not a doctor but this is what I am understanding from what he has told me. I told him already, that I was giving up my dream being a playboy centerfold so he could make the cut as big as he wanted to. Scars don’t matter to me.  He laughed and said to never give up on my dreams! LOL

I don’t dread the actual surgery as much as I dread being out for a few hours. Time that I will never get back. I know I won’t know about it, but think about it – 3 + hours will be forcibly removed from your life to never come back. I can hear you say that I sleep all night and that’s gone too. It just seems weird to me. What could I do in three hours? Then I dread the recovery. I’ve been told I will have a pain pump (yay!) telling me to expect pain. I hate pain. That’s why I had my kids so quick – I hate pain.
visitor on my fridge
So I wait, read a lot, lounge a lot, enjoy the peace and quiet. I have a mini drug store in my trailer telling me that I am not my normal self but as long as I take it easy, I feel like the old me. Taking it easy though is not me! Camping helps me to kick back and relax. I listen to the cicada’s shrill hum, the birds calling to one another, the wind swaying in the trees, the waves of the lake in the background, the odd kid racing by on his or her bike – it’s all very peaceful. I think I shall name this place Heaven!
Mya enjoying the water

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Six weeks later.....

Rear View Mirror...........

Soapbox blog