First follow up...

Today, I had my first follow up appointment since the surgery. I have been fighting a bladder infection (UTI) for a few weeks. I had an appointment with my family doctor two weeks ago and got a scrip for antibiotics for a week. These were new to me and took a few days to get any effect on me. It was miserable! I was feeling a little better except that it felt like someone was using my bladder as a stress ball. The spasms were keeping me awake. I finished the round of antibiotics but I was still not feeling the greatest. Whoever is using my doll for voodoo practice, you can stop now!

Today I had a cystoscopy. This is a camera which is used to examine the bladder and ureter. It is about as much fun as it sounds. I was able to watch on a screen. First thing was a surprise for both the doctor, nurse and myself. A thread was attached to the stent. It shouldn't have been there - a hiccup in surgery I guess. No harm, no foul. I was a little worried at first when Dr. Luke said "What's this?" and the nurse said "OMG!". I watched as he removed the stent (and the piece of thread) and examined the bladder. This should help in curing the infection. The whole procedure took about 3 minutes but definitely not how I want to spend 3 minutes. Very uncomfortable! I have seen the inside of my body in too many places now. I love the miracle of medicine but I've seen enough of the inside of my body already. My ears, my throat, my colon, my GI tract and now my bladder. I now have another antibiotic and hoping to get rid of this infection soon. With these new drugs, I have to avoid the sun. The pharmacist looked outside and said very dryly, "Shouldn't be a problem".


Onward to the surgery results. I got an A+ for results. He was very happy with the results. The cancer on the kidney was contained, considered low grade and he is confident that he was able to remove it all. A small mass was found on the ureter but it was benign. The lymph nodes are being watched, still enlarged. I have to go back in two weeks for an ultrasound and another follow up meeting with Dr. Luke. This will determine if the swelling of the right kidney has gone done. It is still enlarged due to the surgery. He was also very happy with the incisions and how they were healing up nicely. Guess I'm up for model patient or model recovery from surgery - LOL.

In 6 weeks, I have to have a renal gram to see if my right kidney is functioning even though half of it is gone. If it will not function on half, it may need to be removed totally or left there. Hoping though, that it will have strong function so I can operate on a kidney and a half. One kidney is fine too but not optimal.

Not back to work yet but trying to get there. I was able to go in last night to sign for a run beginning in a few weeks. I don't know if I can do it but hopefully by the time the mall Christmas rush starts, I'm back in the driver's seat asking everyone to move back!! It was so nice seeing all my friends at work - I miss them.


I am so thankful that the cancer was found early and easily removed. I can only thank God for getting me to emergency this time for these constant UT infections. I could have easily gone to my family doctor for another round of antibiotics and no one could have been the wiser. I am also thankful that I was referred to Dr. Luke who is in the top of the field in Renal care. He is the king in robotic surgery and I was fortunate enough to be cared for by him. So thankful for friends and family who took care of us, prayed for us, provided many delicious meals and snacks (Mya has taken advantage of my lack of attention and has sampled a muffin or two - sorry, but she loved them too).
Mya refuses to sit for a photo so I had to grab a stock picture but this is how she looks after the muffin caper. (no shame!)

It's all a matter of trust.
Psalm 31:

14 But I trust in you, Lord;
    I say, “You are my God.”
15 My times are in your hands

This has been my mantra all along - the words I whispered when I went under for surgery, the words I say every day, the words I live by daily. Always trusting that God will guide my fate and will walk beside me no matter what happens.  


 

Comments

  1. So thankful, Janet. So very thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is all great news,,,, It was nice seeing you last nite as well,,, Your right when you say we are in Gods hands,,, we just have to trust him,,, take care Janet,,, love your blogs,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy for you to hear this awesome report Janet.!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So good to know you are coming along great and anxious to get back to work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six weeks later.....

Rear View Mirror...........

Soapbox blog