Results....

Went to the doctor today to get a follow up to my tests. I realize it is a teaching hospital but as a student intern, I think you should familiarize yourself with the patient before entering the room. Had a student who came in cold and wondered why I was there and what brought me to emerge etc. He opened up the computer file and then decided he should wait for the actual doctor before telling ma anything. Hmmm.....that was a little unnerving.

So Dr. Luke came in and told me that I have renal cell carcinoma. The malignant mass is small enough that he does not think it has spread but advised surgery to take out at least part of the kidney and the tumour. It is hoped he can save the rest of the kidney but if it does not look good,  he will take out the entire kidney. It is on the right side.  He also asked, a few times, if I smoked or had smoked as he saw "funny spots" on my lungs but wasn't too concerned. Both he and the intern did mention that I had minute (teeny) masses floating around in my body and they weren't sure what they were. I guess medicine hasn't answered all the questions but they were going to keep a close eye on them which would include yearly scans.

This made me think of the movie Fantastic Voyage. It's one of Ray's favourite (because it stars Raquel Welch  😏). Scientists are shrunk to microscopic size, placed in a submarine and injected into the blood stream to find a blood clot to break apart. As you can imagine, trouble starts quickly with fights between blood cells and the body's immune system and also fights among the crew. Soon the crews are without a submarine and must swim to find a way out.
Of course, someone is left behind. Maybe I had some fantastic voyage inside me and some of the crew are still floating around my kidney trying to get out. Good for a laugh. I think they need to do a remake of that film using the knowledge they have attained since 1966 about the human body.

Anyway, I digress.  What's next? I have to have surgery within the next two months. I will also be having an biopsy of a lymph node which is of some concern. I have been having some back pain and side pain. I plan to return to work soon but I could use a bus with a good suspension seat.Pot holes are not fun.

I am thankful for the time I had off to enjoy Jocelyn and Omari's visit. I miss Andre's loud voice. He liked to be heard! He has become quite the chatterbox. I also got to spend lots of time with Alice and Oliver which is always fun. I couldn't believe it but Sunday night, Alice was actually running to me when I came in the door. Usually, she makes a bee line away from me, screaming. LOL

I am also thankful for the prayers, the good thoughts and vibes. It was a hard day. Very tense but not too bad. I was staying in bed as long as I could this morning to avoid the day. I cleaned out my old bug later - it leaves tomorrow 😢.
The day has been good - good news from the doctor. You are all stuck with me for a few more years probably. It was a day of answered prayers and good hope. Thanks all!


Comments

  1. oh Janet I am so thankful... wow God is answering our prayers. I have tears with joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say this was an A+ day that should be celebrated. No chemo or radiation is wonderful. Yes you need surgery but you can live with one working kidney and you will have 1.5 which is more then you need. This a day to thank and paise the Lord

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm verklempt! Just back from holiday and had to check your blog! It's hard to keep a good woman down and I'm so thankful for the news! Luv ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! Not good....but a whole lot better than what we had been worried for:) Still, sounds like you still have some stuff floating around that needs checking. Maybe they do have a shrink-mobile that is so top secret you won't even be able to tell us about that will be exploring your body...hehehehehe:) I remember that movie too:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to be "stuck with you for a few (many more) years". Such positive news.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Six weeks later.....

Rear View Mirror...........

Soapbox blog